It is Chem-Dry of OKC/Edmond’s goal to make your home a healthier place. That’s why we decided to come up with some home cleaning tips!
We’ll let you in on a little secret: using different types of cleaners on certain surfaces does matter. However, it’s not that complicated once you learn the basics!
Here are our 6 most helpful home cleaning tips
- Regularly wipe down countertops. Not only do you prepare most of your food on your countertops, but it is a big area of space for dirt, dust, bacteria, and allergic particles to settle. If you have granite or tile countertops, you want to use a mild cleaner and preferably one that refreshes the sealing. Sealers often degrade over time and it’s important to renew them in order to prevent dust from getting into the porous areas of the stone.
- Keep carpets and rugs clean. In order to improve the longevity and appearance of your carpet, you want to make it a priority to vacuum your carpets and rugs weekly. Ideally, with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter or a microfiltration system. Vacuuming does a good job at picking up dirt and dust on the surface, however, it doesn’t reach the dust and allergens found deep in your carpet’s fibers. – including pet dander and urine.
The EPA recommends annual professional carpet cleaning. In homes with pets and/or children, it recommends scheduling a cleaning service, like Chem-Dry of OKC/Edmond, two to three times a year.
- Don’t forget about your upholstered furniture. While it’s a little easier to remember to vacuum, a lot of people overlook cleaning their upholstery. Despite spending a lot of time on our couches and chairs, we forget to clean them. Similar to countertops and carpets, particles like dust, dirt and allergens settle on upholstered furniture as well. Vacuuming upholstered furniture is nearly as easy and is just as important as vacuuming your carpets. Especially in high-traffic areas.
- Sanitize high touch points around the house. Popular “hot spots” include doorknobs, toilet handles, faucets, and light switches. Spending a few minutes sanitizing those areas, particularly before and after guests come into the home, goes a long way to minimize the spread of germs.
- Use doormats or area rugs in entryways and high-traffic areas. Doormats and area rugs trap a lot of dirt and allergens before they enter the heart of your home. Using doormats and area rugs is an effective and inexpensive way to help prevent unwanted and unhealthy particles from getting deeper into your home.
- Check and replace your heating and air conditioning filters. We know that furnaces are vital to keep homes warm in the colder months, but it’s important to change the furnace air filter at regular intervals. This helps prevent dirt, dust, allergens, and other particles from being distributed around the house. Write the date that of your filter replacement on the outer edge of the new filter to help you know when it’s time for another replacement.
When it comes to cleaning your home, the goal should be more than surface cleaning. It should remove harmful particles and preserve your home’s surfaces. Using the right cleaning solutions regularly and Chem-Dry of OKC/Edmond can help you get there!
Most DIY cleaners are made with a mixture of vinegar and lemons. They are natural, non-toxic, cheap, and versatile. The acidic component is great for cutting through grease and removing soap scum and hard water stains.
However, these cleaners can also damage and dull the appearance of natural stone surfaces like granite, marble, and limestone. They are also known to eat away finishes on kitchen knives, grout, and wood surfaces. We would generally discourage DIY cleaners for your countertops.
In many cases, specialty cleaners are the way to go. There are a lot of products out there made specifically for certain surfaces, like the kitchen, bathroom, glass, hardwood floors, and stainless steel. Some have components that target hard water and mineral build-up, mold and mildew, showerheads, soap scum on tubs and tile, and toilet bowls.
There are also specialty cleaners for cleaning carpets and upholstery. However, it’s important to note that using too much solution or water or applying the product incorrectly can actually cause mold and mildew to grow beneath the surface and stains to appear more frequently. Instead, have a professional take care of your carpet and upholstery cleaning for you.
Enjoy A Cleaner, Healthier Home
When it comes to cleaning your home, the goal should be not just to visibly get rid of messes, but to preserve your precious surfaces. Using the right cleaning solutions and the best cleaning professionals can help you get there!